Creating a SARS compliant Logbook for your tax claims has never been easier. Follow these simple steps to create your Logbook.
Step 1: Log into your GPS Logbook Account using your email address and Password
If you have forgotten your password click on the link to learn how to reset your password or contact
Step 2: Allocate Categorize Trips & Add Trip Comments
The default trip category is set to Private by default. So you will need to separate your trips by category. This is because your logbook will only show Business trips and leave out the private trips as SARS only require business trip information.
Leaving the trips as Private trips will create a blank Logbook without any trip information in it.
- To allocate or categorize a trip click on the green house icon. The Icon will turn to an orange briefcase icon. The Green house icon means the trip is a private trip and the orange briefcase icon means the trip is a business icon.
NB: Only Trips with the orange briefcase icon will appear on your Logbook.
- SARS have made it mandatory for every trip to be followed with the comment or reason for the trip. To add a trip comment on a trip, click on the pencil icon on the far right of a trip and type in your comment.
Step 3: It's Time to create your Logbook.
- Click on the Logbooks Tab as shown below.
Step 4: Capturing Odometer Reading
Upon clicking the Logbook Tab you will see a page appear as below.
This page shows you the vehicle registration numbers of vehicles you have on your account (If you have more than one vehicle created on your account)
- Select the vehicle you want to create your logbook for.
This is Very important: Tax claims should be claimed from the 1st of March to the 28th of February of the next year. e.g 1 March 2019-28 February 2020.
NB: You will therefore need to have odometer reading as at this date captured. See article on How to capture Odometer Readings
Without these readings for these 2 dates you will not be able to successfully create a Compliant Logbook. Therefore Always remember to capture these reading. A common misinformation is that the system will capture these reading for the user, unfortunately the user will need to remember to do this every year.
Captured Odometer readings along with their respective dates will appear as in 5,6 of the image below.
Step 5: Adding Logbook
Once you have your odometer readings for the Tax period you want to create the Logbook for.
You Should see a pop-up box prompting you to enter information as shown below.
NB: On the Opening and Closing Odometer reading fields, simply select from the drop-down list of odometer readings that appear. Note that Only captured odometer readings will appear.
- Enter your Name & Tax Reference Number
- Click on OK
Step 6: Download your Logbook.
Once you click on OK, You will see under the Logbooks section, a logbook will appear with the description you gave it above.
- Click on Detail to Download the PDF format of you Logbook and you are ready to send it to SARS for your tax claim
If you have any questions or queries, or face any difficulties creating your logbook feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.